Friday, April 29, 2011

Paint Party Friday #7

This week´s complete piece.
It is a title page for my "The artist´s way" by Julia Cameron exercise folder. I need a few more for other books/projects exercises.

Materials & techniques:
* scrapbooking papers for collaged background.
* upper brown paper was gessoed to make it dreamy like whiter.
* lower brown paper tinted with "siena natural" colour & gel medium. The green dot was a happy accident occured while dripping green acrylic on the base before glueing the other pieces.
* decoupaged rose, leave & clock face.
* dripping acrylic paint from the top of the page.

Things I´ve learnt this week about dripping paint:

1) If you use barely watered down acrylic it will run down almost in a straight line.
2) If you put water onto the brush and go again over the same colour the paint will run down a bit more ... well ... watery like. :D As in a river seen in Google maps.
3) If you get too enthusiastic with the brush the paint may go over and run down the back of your page, which is not good if you are working on a journal and your back page is finished. Or maybe it is indeed a good thing. Depending on how much you like the previous page. ;)
4) The more you spray water on the paint (Thank you Donna Downey for the spray bottle inspiration. It´s been a joy to see it actually works as shown) the more it moves.
5) The more it moves, the more it goes away and you have a subtle hint of colour that lets you see through.


22 comments:

Yvonne said...

Very cool work. Happy PPF.

Hybrid J said...

Fantastic artwork. Dripping paint is great fun to play with. Well Done! ;)

Crystal said...

Just wonderful! :-)

Marlene said...

Beautiful piece. It is fun to experiment with different techniques. I love to sprinkle salt into wet watercolor. If you haven't tried it give it a shot. Just brush the salt off the painting after it dries.

Netty said...

Terrific collage and loving the drips. Annette x

wednesday said...

That would be a happy exercise book to open. Great collage.

Victoria said...

Hi Paula..gorgeous..fabulous work! I love how you share your process .. I always find that intriguing..wonderful post! Shine on and happy wkd!
Victoria~

Abela said...

A job that certainly amuses you ... Kind regards

Anonymous said...

Julia Cameron's books are great, aren't they? Looks like a lot of fun here. I will have to have a go at it. Happy PPF! :-)

Kristin Dudish said...

I love that you are sharing your painting experiments with all of us - it looks like you're having such fun doing it (and it's fun to watch)!

xo
Kristin

GlorV1 said...

Great tips. Love that you are getting excited about new techniques. Thanks for sharing. Happy PPF!

misteejay said...

Paula, what a beautiful page and it sounds like you are having so much fun with all these new techniques.

Toni xx

Tammie Lee said...

thank you for your wonderful tutorial, so fun to see and play with. your art page is wonderful too.

Rosie Kaplan said...

Wonderful process - thank you. I am such a Julia Cameron Fan!

Pam Tucker said...

I love drippy paint! You did a beautiful job with your folder. It's always fun to experiment. I LOVE books by Julia Cameron. They are such great inspiration. :)

Annabelle said...

Not too long ago I was doing that with the deep blue sea. I adore the effect of tearing paint; can really create drama to a piece of art work. Love this experiment Paula....Thanks for sharing.

Christine said...

interesting work this week.

Mary Hysong said...

That was very interesting, I like the final effect you achieved. Tho I usually try to NOT have drippy paint ;=) Happy PPF

Unknown said...

I love that you've shown all the steps to achieving your final (beautiful) effect. What a beautiful folder for all your work!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the step by step on how you achieved the effect of this great piece. I love the decoupage!

Anne Butera said...

Your page looks wonderful! I love playing with dripping paint. I'd never have thought to use a spray bottle, though, thanks for the tip!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to have a different book for each different project/exercise/etc. I love that you're making yours!

EVA said...

Great page and very fun techniques!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails