Sunday, July 14, 2013

Keep it simple, make it work #5.3

For the past five months I´ve been running a decluttering and organizing series. You can read the whole lot of posts here! My aim is to find time and space for my creativity within my daily life. So I have to make time and space. ;) Share the path with me!

Let´s talk about cuttlery today. Do you have different sets for different occasions?

* The "good" set. The one that goes with your "good" china. Most are inherited or bought as a wedding gift.

* The "daily" set. Here is where things get tricky. We get one set to begin with but along the way other sets or even single pieces are added to the collection.
Time to have a look at our cuttlery. Check for rust points and old grime. Toss those pieces that are no longer safe or have become a health hazard.
Give them all a good clean. Put them in a basket.

The "party" pieces. Long toothpick like forks, small size spoons, no blade forks for dips. Do you use metal ones or plastic ones?

The "picnic" set. Do you use your daily set for picnics or do you have a different set for them?

Just for fun. Imagine you are in a Victorian movie and prepare a cute picnic with your best pieces. 

The project´s summary:
9 months to streamline your home spaces and systems
3 months for the practical spaces: kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room
3 months for the shared areas: entry hall, dining room, living room,
3 months for the personal spaces: bedrooms, office, hobbies room
1 big task each week illustrated with my own pictures and daily {gentle} reminders, tips and cheering at my Facebook page. Like my Facebook page Paula - Buenos Aires to be able to follow the tips every day and record your progress with a friendly crew!

4 comments:

misteejay said...

Strangely, when it comes to cutlery I don't have loads. I do have two sets but not because one is for best or anything, the second set is for when we have more than 6 people eating.

The main set is in a divided drawer in the kitchen and I am a bit OCD about having the right items in the right places and the handles all facing the same way LOL

The additional set is kept in a rush basket in the dresser drawer in the dining room so it doesn't clutter the main drawer but is easy to grab when needed.

I must admit though, I have recently been looking at some fun cutlery with lime green handles as a change from my 'classic' stainless steel - so far I have resisted c",)

Toni xx

Kathy Hadley said...

Great post and I'm sure very helpful to many people to have this plan laid out over time.

Fortunately, years ago, I got very organized with things such as this so reading your post was like a walk down memory lane to those earlier days.

It is truly amazing how much time and space you have in every day life once you get and stay organized.

:-)

Kathy

kathyhadleylifecoach.com

Katrina said...

Being a chef I have tons of cutlery. I tend to collect it depending on what I am working on. Having a roommate as a chef doesn't help either. I love the idea of baskets and will have to look into that. Thank you for sharing these tips!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

I hear you on the "more than 6" Toni. Of course handles have to face the same way!!! ;)Looking forward to your new cuttlery picture. It´s lime green Toni! You must have it. :)

My thoughts exactly Kathy! One big step by step do over and then it´s easy to keep up.

I´d love to know what to use for what Katrina! I have no technical knowledge. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails