Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Word of the Year 2014: prosper

It all started with Jamie Ridler´s workshop Prosper.
Mmmmmmmm. Nice. Prosper. Delicious word, isn´t it? A positive "be better off" thing that leads to a "feel better" situation. I want that.

It kept coming up from different sources.

The investigation part began, starting by the definition:
1.- To be fortunate or successful, especially in terms of one's finances; thrive.
2.- to thrive, succeed, etc., or cause to thrive, succeed, etc. in a healthy way

So I can use it for me AND others? This word is getting better and better. 

It is a verb, an action word. Looking forn synonyms I found: succed (looking forward to this), advance (good compass), progress (ditto), thrive (sounds awesome), make it, flower, get on, do well, flourish, bloom (another good compass: does this make me bloom?), make good (easy to see and measure), be fortunate, grow rich (need to find a way).

Being the Scy-Fi fan that I am  "Prosper" became "Live long and prosper", which coming from Mr. Spock, half over analytical Vulcan and half emotional human ( any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, well ... why deny it ;) ) seemed so fit.


Related words to "prosper": luxuraiate, overgrow, proliferate, shoot up, germinate, root, sprout, bloom, flower, fruit, produce, propagete, regenerate, seed.

All those tie to the "roots and wings" concept that was a close second.



Follow on Bloglovin

13 comments:

misteejay said...

Sounds like a great word for you Paula.

Wishing you all the very best for 2014.

Toni xx

Francene Stanley said...

What a wonderful, multipurpose word. It could refer to so many things. All the best of prosperity for 2014.

Liliana said...

Hi Paula, until I read your article I had decided that my word for 2014 was "believe" as I have problems having faith or believing in anything.

I think from now on I will change it to prosper because it encompasses everything I wanted to achieve with "believe" and much more. I also love the related words propagate and regenerate.

Wishing you a prosperous New Year :_)

Sophie Bowns said...

This is really great! :)
Happy 2014!

Paula Eder said...

Hi Paula -

I loved reading about your word for 2014 and the expansiveness (and humor) you brought to it. Wonderful, positive energy to bring to the New Year - and I appreciate your sharing it with us.

Now, I am going to think about what word/energy I want to carry with me. Thank you!

Best,

Paula

Brandi @ Finding the path for Me said...

I love that you linked your word to Spock!! I will never forget now. I have to think about my word....this is a fun theme for the year.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Paula!

PROSPER is a word that's in my vocabulary this year - more so than last year. :)

I can't wait to dig right in and make it happen! :)

Suzy said...

May your prosper in all aspects of your life. Wish you a wonderful 2014. I chose Joy as my word this year!

Self Sagacity said...

I love the word of the year. Prosper. :-) Happy New Year!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Thanks for your continuous support Toni!

That´s what I loved about it Francene, all the positive connections.

Liliana, embrace your prosperity and bloom!

Thanks Sophie. :)

Loved the concept of carrying energy Paula. Words have "vibes" to them.

Brandi, my kids have started making the Vulcan sign when I come back home. Lol!

Bonnie, I can fully accept "prosper" now. I was afraid of it before.

Thank you Suzy! Joy is so positive too.

Happy New Year to you too!

Tammy Doiel @ creativekkids.com said...

Great word! I didn't have one until today when I was reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp--I think mine will be Thanksgiving.

GetSocialForBusiness said...

Yes Paula, that is a really great word for all of us I think.

I have never had a word of the year but I think I will think of one now

Sue
x

Anne Butera said...

What a perfect word!

My word for 2014 is "realize".

Wishing you all of the best in 2014! I think it will be a wonderful year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails