Wednesday, November 13, 2013

AEDM 13 Day 13 Baker´s dozen

Since I was a child the mention of the baker´s dozen made me smile. I was SO waiting for Day 13 of Art Every Day Month to be able to use it as a title. :D

Using the Wiki, let me tell you that the oldest known source for the expression "baker's dozen" dates to the 13th century in one of the earliest English statutes, instituted during the reign of Henry III (1216–72), called the Assize of Bread and Ale. Bakers who were found to have shortchanged customers (some variations say that they would sell hollow bread) could be subject to severe punishment including judicial amputation of a hand. To guard against losing a hand to an axe, a baker would give 13 for the price of 12 in order to be certain of not being known as a cheat. Specifically, the practice of baking 13 items for an intended dozen was insurance against "short measure", on the basis that one of the 13 could be lost, eaten, burnt, or ruined in some way, leaving the baker with the original legal dozen. The practice can be seen in the guild codes of the Worshipful Company of Bakers in London.

Now on to the working table for Day 11. Colour choices. I considered the matching ones first, green for the frame, pink for th eletters or blue for the flowers. Finally I chose brown, for the odd coloured flowers in brownish green.
 The finished layout for November 11th:

Not much left of the baby girl kit now. I gather three more pages can be got out of it. Let´s see.

Picture taken with my S4 for the Life on the Go group where we share pictures taken with cell phones. Btw: a quick survey among my friends gave iPhones surpassing Android phones in a 5 to 3 proportion. What about yours? Do you have an Android smartphone or an iPhone?

Prompt "pen"

See you tomorrow for more Art Every Day! :)

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

denthe said...

That's an inyeresting story ... Hollow bread, quite an invention ..;-) Lovely layout and I love to see the picture of all your pens and pencils. I have a smartphone. Not really a conscious choice, since it was a present and I was actually quite happy with my ancient mobile .... ;-)

Tracy said...

Now I know where that saying comes from! Love the layout for the picture. I have to say thought, that shot of your pens & pencils is a keeper! I have an Android Smartphone only because I needed a way to take credit card orders when I'm at shows. I've found texting to friends can be addicting. Thankfully, I don't use it that often because I pay by the minute. :)

Tammy Vitale said...

I don't have an iphone, does that mean I have an android (what does that tell you about me and phones?). Mine takes pictures that are nice but I can't get them to size up once I send them from my phone to my desktop. Love that pen photo!

misteejay said...

Lovely LO Paula and a fabulous photo of pens/pencils.

I've always loved the saying 'baker's dozen' and it surprises me how few people have heard of it these days - perhaps it is something to do with most things now being 'metric' LOL

Toni xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails