Saturday, November 29, 2014

Daisey Bingham is the woman behind the mask


Daisy Bingham
Daisey Bingham makes breathtakingly beautiful masks. Full of colour and magic. They transform and enlight the people behind the mask. And she is the one who creates all that magic out of fabrics, beads and threads. She is actually the woman behind the mask.
Today Daisy shares about her working space and habits.

The day you stepped into your creative space for the first time, did you already know how you wanted your studio to look like or did the design evolve from the actual space?

The day I stepped into my creative space I said, “This is such a beautiful bedroom, the best bedroom I’ve ever had….” After our recent move to New Zealand, I was so excited to finally have a “real” studio space. And I do have a “real” studio space, with an amazing view and amazing light….but at the moment it is still packed full of boxes. I’m currently working out of the bedroom, and when no pins and needles end up in the bed, or stuck in the bottoms of feet, I consider it a success. When I need a change of venue, I pack a bag of supplies and head to the library, there is good light there, a cafĂ© with tea, and the best little chocolate sweets. My dream space still exists solely in my mind. But, I’ve learned not to focus so much on having the perfect space. “Not having the space” is a very convenient excuse, if you really want to be creative and get something done, you’ll find a way to make the available space work. Not to say that I won’t be excited once the studio is sorted, but in the meantime, the show must go on.
green mask

After the work is done, do you clean up after each piece, after each day or whenever you can´t find the table any more?

The work is never done. I always have multiple projects going at the same time. Mostly, I clean to procrastinate doing a portion of a project I don’t really like….or when guests are coming over…or when the floor gets too scary to walk on.
red mask behind the mas

Which is your best time of the day to create? Music or silence?

I like to get up and work in the early morning when everything is quiet and the rest of the family is still snug in their beds. However, this is generally not practical except on the weekends, so I mostly work during the day when everyone else is at work or school. I have a Pandora station that I like to listen to if I am sewing, but if am drawing or designing a mask I prefer to work in silence. I really miss the days when I had other creative people around to work and chat with, or just work in silence with. Working from home can get lonely.
white mask - skeleton

Which is your next project?

I am in the middle of designing masks for an adaptation of Pinocchio, for a Children’s Theatre in Boston. I have just finished a skull, donkey, and field mouse mask. Next up, I am designing a crow mask. After the Pinocchio project is finished I am planning on starting a Birds of New Zealand mask series. There are some amazing birds here. In fact, we have these giant native parrots called “Kaka” that stop by the house every evening and peak in the windows. I think they are wondering why I am still working in the bedroom and haven’t unpacked all those boxes in the studio yet….perhaps I’ll get to a point where it will become necessary to use my procrastination skills for unpacking instead of cleaning.
fox mask

Where can we find you on line?

December 4, 2014 at 1:06 am
PermalinkEdit This
Really like this article because it is about my wonderfully beautiful creative daughter! It thrills me to the core to see her work and to see that other folks are getting a chance to recognize and enjoy her love of art. She also works in beautiful watercolor as well as other venues! Thank you for exposing her!
Reply
  • December 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm
    PermalinkEdit This
    My pleasure! She is a lovely lady, very talented and great to work with. I´ll keep an eye on her work to promote it even further.
    Thank you very much for your visit, so nice to have you here! :)

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails