Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sarah Steenland is a cartoonist who thrives at sea


Sarah Steenland

I know you will smile through this whole post. I know I did. It was such a delight to discover that Sarah had made these cartoons specifically to answer this interview. Thrilled and honoured.
I came across Sarah´s work through a mutual friend. We were both posting to The Unmistakable Podcast and when she started illustrating each of the podcasts I discovered what she did and looked for more of her cartoonist work at her Facebook page.
Btw, if you are reading this you are a creative person, go listen to that podcast, it has all kinds of wildly creative interviews too.
So here she is, a cruising cartoonist who is a leftie, a visionary and Aquarius to boot.
 The day you stepped into your creative space for the first time, did you already know how you wanted your studio to look like or did the design evolve from the actual space?
Ha! I wish I had my own space! I have to work with the spaces on our boat that are not occupied at the time.
My usual spot though, is wedging myself in the corner of the saloon sofa. I never leave the boat without my backpack loaded with
all I need to work from anywhere. “Business in a backpack”.
a cratoonist studio

After the work is done, do you clean up after each piece, after each day or whenever you can´t find the table any more?

 The saloon table can get a bit out of control as it’s kinda an ‘everything’ table. We eat at it and the kids do their school work at it (I homeschool the kids) so it needs to be cleared around three times a day. Cups with liquid in it are banned from the table as my last laptop died a tragic death when a drink was knocked onto it.
cartoonist desk out of control

Which is your best time of the day to create? Music or silence?

 My best time is definitely at night. I’m not a morning person. I start work around 8pm and work till around 2am. I find I’m super productive as I have no distractions -everyone is asleep! It can be hard winding down though, I need to read a bit before I go to sleep.
When I’m feeling a bit tired and don’t feel like working, I listen to some upbeat music, that helps. I also like to watch series like
Game of thrones, Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead.
an evening cartoonist

 Which is your next project?

 Hmmmm, well I get distracted by shiny things a lot, I have notebooks chock full of things I’d like to do. I have to say though, the next
thing(s) I’d love to get onto next is to create short animations and to spend more time on my blog – creating my scroll comics.
creating more comics

Where can we find you on line?

Website: www.sarahsteenland.com
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sarahsteenland.cartooniverse
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sarahsteenland
Instagram: http://instagram.com/sarahsteenland

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails